- Trip start time: 8am
- Trip duration: approximately 3 hours canyoning, plus 40 minutes hike in on uneven terrain
- Biggest Rappel: Two tier 100 feet
- Minimum Age: 16 Years Old
- Lunch: included
- Equipment: we provide you with specialty canyoning gear
- Transport: from the town of Ouray to/from the canyon
- Experience Required: Yes, please see prerequisites detailed below.
Upper Uncompahgre River
Beginner Canyoning Tour
Full Day Trip
Upper Uncompahgre River is our wettest canyon! The canyon begins with a 12ft jump and features natural rock slides, walking, scrambling across rock, swimming and rappelling; this variety makes it a canyon that stands out in Ouray.
This canyon offers excellent opportunities for exploration: pools of fresh water, deep gorges, glimpses of old mining equipment, scrambling through larger boulders and rappelling a two tiered waterfall to challenge those looking to take their canyoning experience to the next level.
Upper Uncompahgre River is a little cooler than some of our other canyons due to it being an aquatic canyon. There is also a considerable amount of walking on uneven terrain to be considered before booking this trip. The total beginner is best suited to Portland Creek, Angel Creek or both!
Canyoning Colorado honor previous experience for that is relevant to canyoning. Our intermediate tours are a big step up physically and mentally from our beginner tours; we have to employ strong prerequisites to ensure safety levels remain appropriate. If you feel you have relevant experience that is sufficient for the demands of an intermediate tour please get in touch via email prior to booking.